Question about the Japanese Pension Service (Retrogressive Payment)

to summarize what I know:

  • I am a Class II Insured Person in the Japanese Pension System
  • I Moved here in September of last year, and have paid into the national pension service (through my company) since October, when I started working
  • I am a U.S. Citizen.
  • My Friend "Ted" and I have been in Japan since the same date, and are working at the same company. (started the same day)
  • Ted got his U.S. citizenship a few months prior to moving to Japan, and still holds his Japanese citizenship.

My Question:

Ted recently got an envelope from the Pension service asking him to pay 300,000 yen in owed pension money. He is a Japanese citizen, but has been living in the U.S basically all of his life, he only returned permanently to japan when we both moved here in September.

Is it possible that I will be getting a similar notice asking me to pay an exorbitant amount of money for the years I did not live here, just like he is?? (and if not, why is he getting said notice?)

I am leaving in a week and a half for 6 months of work abroad, and I would love to avoid problems with the government taking money from my bank account (especially money I don't have, and that I didn't know I owed)

I realize this might seem like a very dumb question, however, I need some one who knows more about this to tell me what to expect. I personally don't feel safe making my own assumptions about the situation.

Thanks in advance for your help kind strangers!!

submitted by /u/PikaEnthusiast
[link] [comments]
Source: Reddit RSS

Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

No Comments

Leave a Reply