Fox News has reportedly suspended judicial commentator Andrew Napolitano over his unverified claims that British intelligence wiretapped Trump Tower last year for President Barack Obama.
The Los Angeles Times said Napolitano, the network’s senior judicial analyst, has been taken off the air “indefinitely” for the report, which British intelligence blasted as “nonsense” and “utterly ridiculous.”
Napolitano’s report was cited last week by President Donald Trump as evidence to back his repeated claims that he was wiretapped by Obama.
“All we did was quote a certain very talented legal mind who was the one responsible for saying that on television,” Trump said, referring to Napolitano. “You shouldn’t be talking to me, you should be talking to Fox.”
Fox News distanced itself from Napolitano’s claims.
“Fox News cannot confirm Judge Napolitano’s commentary,” anchor Shepard Smith said last week. “Fox News knows of no evidence of any kind that the now-president of the United States was surveilled at any time, in any way. Full stop.”
Bret Baier, the network’s chief political anchor, issued a similar statement.
“We love the judge. We love him here at Fox,” Baier said on the air last week. “But the Fox News division was never able to back up those claims.”
Baier also sent out a tweet on Monday:
No – the news division of Fox News could never confirm those claims/allegations – as we reported fully on Friday. https://t.co/oJg1lYShek— Bret Baier (@BretBaier) March 20, 2017
Napolitano was a Superior Court judge in New Jersey from 1987 until 1995, when he left for private practice and to begin his media career. — This feed and its contents are the property of The Huffington Post, and use is subject to our terms. It may be used for personal consumption, but may not be distributed on a website.